Sunday, May 27, 2007

Pirates 3

Even as I write this I can't decide if I liked Pirates 3 because it was good or because the second installment was so horrible that by comparison this one didn't bother me much. Although I suspect, the latter is the case. The third Pirates movie is now out and although I hated virulently the second film we can't forget I'm an idiot and a glutton for punishment. These are the reasons I see ever crappy Jack Black film and force myself into the theater when Michael Bay puts out his most recent schlock. So of course I bellied up to the box office and purchased my ticket just like everyone else.

The movie picks up where the second left off. Captain Jack (Johnny Depp) is dead, Barbossa (Geoffrey Rush) has been brought back to life and with Elisabeth (Keira Knightly) and Will (Orlando Bloom) has set out to bring him back. They head to Singapore to meet a pirate there played by Chow Yun-Fat and get some special maps. And of course still to be dealt with are Davy Jones (Bill Nighy) and Lord Becket (Tom Hollander) the resident villains.

When it comes to Jack Sparrow, I've come to believe less is more. I'm sure at least one person I know would disagree with that but the more you see him the more his camp becomes tiresome. Now this movie had long been rumored to have a cameo by Keith Richards, the professed model for Depp's performance. Is the scene good? Well its mildly amusing, I laughed out loud when he came on screen (the only one in the theater who laughed)

The movie actually had a surprise I was not really expecting but was glad the director had the guts to do however tempered it ended up being in the end. Of course the film leaves open the possibility for a sequel, so expect one if the film does well. But in the end I think I liked this film, sort of. If you are curious, stay til the end of the credits for a sappy concluding note.

No comments: