Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Virgin Spring

If you check my blog on a regular basis, say four or five times a day, I first question why the hell you would waste that much time but second I would note that I already tried to write a review for "Virgin Spring" and took it down after less than 24 hours. You see although I have nothing but praise for this movie I couldn't talk about it without revealing plot points and I think a film this good is worth watching unbiased.

Briefly, set in the middle ages, it introduces us to Jore (Max von Sydow) and his family including a young daughter Karin. Karin is a spoiled girl who is ordered one day to bring candles to the church and on the way a horrible tragedy befalls her. What exactly happens to her you can guess and some summaries provide but I will say no more about the plot but the events that occur after the tragedy are just as compelling and powerful as those which lead up to it.

Bergman has the wide open spaces to shoot and show the beauty of nature as he did in "Seventh Seal" and there is lots of absolutely wonderous shots as the action takes place. As with his other movies, this one has questions of faith. Here both the interaction between paganism and christianity but also the ever present idea of a benevolent god in a cruel world. Beyond his beautifully shot films and intriguing stories, for me, Bergman works because he is always in this dialogue about faith that appeals to me as an intellectual and as a person raised in a faith without ever taking that leap.

When I watched "Seventh Seal" there were two moments that just floored me and "Virgin Spring" equally had two amazingly powerful scenes. Of course I'll tease you by not talking about them but rest assured you will know them when and if you see them. Max von Sydow again just holds you while he is on screen from stern master of household to indulgent father to man plagued by guilt of sin and tragedy.

No comments: