Tuesday, January 04, 2011

True Grit

I grew up on Westerns. Clint Eastwood, John Wayne, those were the actors I saw in my youth. My parents would watch all those films and they were some of my earliest movie experiences. Which is why I have soft spot for them and am very picky when I see a new western or a remake. I didn't care all that much for the recent "3:10 To Yuma" And so I was little uneasy when I heard belatedly that the Coens next film was a remake of True Grit. Sure, sure all the assurances that this was more faithful to the book but so what? If someone wanted to remake Everbody Comes to Rick's but make it more faithful, would you be okay with that? I know I wouldn't.

But its the Coens, you say, well I'm not as enamored with the Coens as some. Yes they are talented but frankly the best film they ever made was No County For Old Men and that was almost anti-Coen in its approach. The Duke WAS Rooster Cogburn. Sure, he didn't really play Rooster so much as embody every last element of the John Wayne mythos at that point but still, even now I think Rooster Cogburn equals John Wayne. So warily I entered the theater to watch this new True Grit. And frankly I'm glad I did.

I don't by any means think its a perfect film. More than once I just wished a few scenes had been shortened here or there. And after the climax of the film, the last ten minutes or so just felt sort of unnecessary (even if they were in the book). But it was a sold and enjoyable film. Solid acting from everyone. Although I'm not sure why Barry Pepper hasn't been getting more love. He was great in his small role. I would only put it in my top ten of the year by virtue of the fact that well I didn't see 10 good movies in 2010. But well made yes.

Of course Jeff Bridges is great with his own Rooster (but as I said The Duke will always be Rooster to me). Matt Damon is good as the well meaning but slightly dim-witted LeBeouf. But really the entire show is stolen by Hailee Steinfeld. Her Mattie Ross is tough, smart and sharp tongued. She manages humorous, stern, clever, compassionate and scared without pause. She is hard to ignore the entire time she is on screen. And the whole movie rests on her shoulders. It might be the best performance all year but I concede that I have few to compare it to. Still whether you are sceptical going in or a whole hearted Coen fan, Steinfeld alone is worth the price of admission.

No comments: