Saturday, October 13, 2007

Meet Me In St. Louis

Every once in a while convinced I just haven't seen the right musical, I will rent one and watch it. I always try to keep an open mind but I just can't get into musicals. Its weird. I like music and I love music that tells a story but tell a story where people randomly break into song and dance and I just tune out. Still Meet Me In St. Louis as a story did have some charm. And Judy Garland's singing of "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" was stirring (I'm a sucker for a Christmas song).

The movie follows St. Louis family during the year before the World's Fair in 1904. The father has decided to move the family to New York and the family is a bit distraught. The older girls are looking for marriage matches and the younger are well I'm not really sure what they are doing. Esther (Judy Garland) is in love with the boy next door and attempts to peak his interest. And yes, occasionally random breaking out into song and dance.

The crazy thing is that two things stuck with me about this film. The first is one of the daughters Tootie (Margaret O'Brien). This little girl is described as rambunctious on the Netflix description but I would have gone with psychotic. In her first introduction she has a long tale about a man who lures kittens into a house and poisons them on and apparently the same guy also beats his wife. And how does her family respond? They laugh. The laugh? What is going on?

She imagines that her dolls get sick with disease and die and then she buries them. And people laugh. Then there was the unforgettable Halloween scene. I must confess I don't know the history of Halloween, it was also just an excuse to get some candy in my day. But apparently in 1903, according to this film, Halloween was a night when children rule in a near anarchic state, starting a bonfire in the middle of the street and hurling chairs and fences into the fire. Then these same kids run up to houses, knock and when answered through flour in the person's face declaring them "dead".

I was exclaiming aloud during this scene "what is going on?" It was like the scene fell right out of Terry Gilliam's imagination. And the whole scene ends with a stunt that seems to have been done in hopes of creating a massacre. And when she reveals what she did, her family just shakes their heads in that "girls will be girls" way. Because apparently little girls are little more than spawns of Satan? I could almost see her as the inspiration for the character Rhoda from The Bad Seed.

Okay enough of the crazy. There was one other scene that I found endearing. Early in the film, Esther attempts to let the poor clueless boy next door know that she likes him. She requests he walk around her house turning off all the lights after a party. He assents presumably understanding her underlying motive but at almost every turn says something or does something that reflects that he just doesn't get it. And the way the scene ends with him like a moron waving goodbye is just too priceless.

I probably like this scene so much because it smacks so truthfully of my own sad experiences. Short of a woman holding up a sign saying, "idiot, I like you" I'm usually pretty clueless. So the scene I just mentioned to me was fantastic.

If you like musicals and charming movies (with the weird little girl exception) I suspect you will like this one, me I'll stick with the non-musicals for a little while more.

No comments: