Thursday, October 11, 2007

Thin Red Line

In the interest of full disclosure and in anticipation of objection, let me just put this out there. "Thin Red Line" is my favorite movie. How can he say that when there is so little he has seen, one might object. Or as my friends used to tease, how many shots of nature can one man have in a film. And I'll respond, I really don't care. No film exhausts me physically like this one. No film resonates for days, weeks, months, years like this film. No single film makes me, when I heard that there were six plus hours of footage shot, think my lord what I wouldn't give to see a six hour rendering of this film. So much left unsaid, so many cameos that aren't even cameos.

I remember when I first saw this film. I worked at the movie theater then, it was a midnight sneak. That is to say the night before it opened we watched the movie to make sure it was built correctly. But really its one of the perks of working at a theater. I'd worked all night, I was desperately tired and it was worth ever exhausting minute. I was back the next day with my friend Brad to watch it again. I own the dvd, I've watched it more than any single movie I have.

What's it about? What's it about you ask? Sweet maria what isn't it about? Its about the Battle of Guadalcanal, its about war, its about humanity, its about the army, its about connection and cruelty. Its about opportunism, its about utopia. Its about so many damn things and every single one of them is fantastic. I guess in the end its about C Company in all its glory and sadness.

We have gentle Staros, company commander worried about his men and Col. Tall worried about his career. Privates galore all worried about life and death, love and sadness. We have Sgt. Welsh a man not quite sure about the world. And principally we have Witt. Witt, like his similarly named predecessor from "From Here To Eternity" is a man I can't even begin to explain. You just have to watch him, here him talk, see the wonder in his face or the determination or the fear.

Since every time I see it, I see something new I can't focus on one thing, although I'll probably keep coming back to Witt. This time I was struck by John Savage, a soldier who snaps from the pressure, he rants and raves and just rocks you to the core. This is what war is capable of. He's utterly fantastic screaming at the top of his lungs about the loss, pleading with God, the army, anyone else that it did not have to be this way.

This experience (movie/film is too weak) has two moments that I consider the best. The best death scene ever. I won't talk about it because that would spoil it, suffice to say when you see it, you'll know. I've seen it a hundred times, maybe more and every time I think to myself "that just happened." An emotional roller coaster that physically exhausts me such that I don't want to do anything after except reflect.

The other is a scene between two soldiers (one of them Witt again). Two soldiers each attempting to enjoy those few moments of quiet, the world without war. One having realized that once cast out of the garden, you can never go back, the other finding a quiet peace in being abandoned of all things. What else can I say?

Welsh and Witt have frequent interaction in this film. Welsh attempting to understand Witt and praying that emptiness will come to him because for all his cold cool manner he is clearly tortured by war. Witt loving C Company as the only family he has and seeing the good in everything especially people. Some of the best dialogue of the film occurs between Witt and Welsh, to which I will leave you with this which out of context can only pale in comparison but in context is incredibly powerful. Witt: Do you ever feel lonely? Welsh: Only around people.

Okay, I can't stand it anymore. I can't do this film justice. Just thinking about it makes my heart glow and make me want to watch it again, like right now. But I've got things I need to do. You just need to watch it if you haven't or re-watch it if you have. And you can holler and scream all you want that I am wrong and you'll never convince me.

1 comment:

Wretched Genius said...

It's certainly not my favorite, but I always thought it was a damn good movie. I, too, saw it during a midnight sneak, so watching it with you the following day was also my 2nd viewing in a 24-hour period. And to your many praises of this film, I would like to add that the soundtrack is incredible. The film's score is subtle and mostly muted, while the traditional songs of the villagers are spirited and joyful.