Saturday, August 30, 2008

Andrei Rublev

Nine months ago I discovered the wonderful world of Andrei Tarkovsky. I found his first feature film Ivan's Childhood so starkly beautiful that I proclaimed it one of the most beautiful film I had ever seen. (http://movieidiot.blogspot.com/2007/11/ivans-childhood.html). And I can still recall what I found to be the most beautiful shot in the film vividly. But not only was the film so wonderful to view for its cinematography but it also had a dark and wonderful story of a boy of lost innocence in war. Unfortunately Tarkovsky's second film Andrei Rublev was far more difficult for me to get through. It was long and I only got about half way through before giving up and returning it. And so now nine months later I re-rented it and attempted round two.

The titular character was an icon painter in 15th century Russia and the story follows him as he goes through his life. But at times he is not the central character but rather an observer and practically invisible for sections of the film. It is an impressive manipulation of narrative. Admittedly I found the story less interesting than his first but one must respect that same attention to detail. The fact that he really wants to push the boundaries of what story telling can do. Tarkovsky is a film maker like we don't really see anymore. One who is constantly pushing at the edges shwoing what can be done with images, symbolism, narrative.

The fact that the titular character disappears at times reveals that the real protagonist is Russia itself. From the grandeur of painting cathedrals to the horror of Tartar hoards destroying and pillaging a town one cannot help but be intrigued. And the film concludes with a long narrative about a boy who is set on making a bell despite knowing nothing about how to do so. The climax of that sequence is poignant and amazing. I admit that this one didn't enthrall me that much but I could never deny that I was watching a genius work and that in all likelihood I was missing something. But enduring it is worth the effort.

No comments: