Monday, September 01, 2008

Chaplin Mutuals

I want to be Charlie Chaplin. Now I say that not really knowing anything about his life. It could have been miserable for all I know. But his screen presence is downright phenomenal to watch. If I thought for one minute I could pull of his strange waddle I think I'd do it all the time. Watching him perform in the Mutual shorts, a series of twelve shorts he made in 1916-1917 for the Mutual Film Corporation which he wrote, directed and produced (and made a gob load of money for doing) one can't help but admire how gifted he is.

The stories are entertaining and filled with amazing stunts all performed with a fluid grace by Mr. Chaplin. I encourage you to watch them if you never have or revisit them if you saw them once. Each is short and the return on your investment is more than generous. I won't describe each one but merely mention some of my favorite moments from the twelve.

The Floorwalker - one word: escalator.

The Fireman - Chaplin's scaling of a building to rescue a damsel in distress is so wonderfully fluid and graceful.

One A.M. - Chaplin playing drunk is fantastic and although the bed gets much attention as it should, the other props are well used as well. I was particularly fond of the spinning table.

The Count - Chaplin on the dance floor while simultaneously fighting off a rival suitor.

The Pawnshop - When Charlie takes apart a clock that was brought into the shop I was in tears from laughing.

Behind the Screen - It had a pie fight, how can I not love it?

The Rink - Every single skating sequence was wonderful.

No comments: