Sunday, March 29, 2009

Watchmen

I have never read the graphic novel Watchmen. I've read some stuff about it and a number of reviews of the film which criticized either the work, the film based on the work or both. I also don't think its in any way necessary to read the graphic novel in order to have any opinion on the film. I read a great number of reviews before I saw the film, almost all of them negative. I decided I had no desire to see it. Then a friend recommended I see it. Admittedly the reviews I usually read are written by elitist film viewers. Their analyses are usually well written and filled with reference and allusion to other film, literature and psychological insight. These are the reason I like to read them. They are almost scholarly. The problem can be is that sometimes they are unwilling to acknowledge that a film is either 1)enjoyable despite its flaws or 2) isn't actually bad.

Watchmen isn't actually bad. I admit I had problems with the pacing. The source material is long and clearly Snyder felt to even do it justice the film would have to be long. But at times I was in agony for the film to move forward and accomplish something. There is also at least one comically misplaced song and scene in the film. Its laughable and perhaps intentionally so but its also painful. I bring this up because the use of Nat King Cole's "Unforgettable" at the opening (as well as Bob Dylan's Times They Are A Changing") are so perfect for the scenes they are tied with.

Watchmen is set in 1985, but a different 1985 than we know. There have been two generations of super heroes, the Vietnam War was ended by such a super hero and eventually there was a ban on masked heroes. All of this brings up very interesting and salient points on the nature of vigilantism. There is also the very eminent threat of nuclear annihilation. All these themes and more are running through the story that follows the lives of several of these masked heroes. The story is either familiar to you or easily accessible via a synopsis so I'll refrain from summary.

Zack Snyder is skilled. Like 300 before this, there are many shots that are recreated from the graphic novel. It shows an amazing attention to detail and patience to get a shot exactly right. The fact that he can turn a complex work into a convincing and entertaining film (even with flaws) as well as balance a myriad of distinct characters is nothing short of praiseworthy. Perhaps a more innovative director would have strayed from the source material more and created a film that strove to be its own contribution but what we have received is not crap.

The opening fight sequence followed the the credit sequence are, as I already mentioned, wonderful combinations of imagery and music. In fact the first fight sequence in my opinion is the best one in the film. This is not to say that several other fight sequences weren't wonderfully choreographed. When these guys and gals are fighting I was riveted and at other times when they weren't fighting and the characters were being explored I was intrigued too. In particular, Dr. Manahattan (voiced and a few times actually acted (i.e. not CGI) by Billy Crudup.) who as an immortal superman has an intriguing story arc.

In the end its not only entertaining but I think an interesting film in the choices it makes. It may not be an excellent film but it definitely strives to be. It is by far and away a better film than 300 and takes more risks and shows more development than Dawn of the Dead, his debut and remake of the Romero classic. I'm curious and eager to see him work on something that isn't steeped in a pop culture tradition and virtual frame by frame story boards to see what he can do with it.

No comments: