Monday, May 25, 2009

Terminator: Salvation

So the year is 2018 and humanity has been routed by SkyNet and its plethora of machines. A resistance exists led by a group of secretive guys in a submarine. John Conner (Christian Bale) is commander of one of the resistance cells. Kyle Reese (Anton Yelchin) is a young man enduring a tough existence hiding from terminators in LA. And then there is Marcus Wright (Sam Worthington). Marcus was on death row back in 2003 and wakes up in 2018 not knowing what is going on.

So what happens? About the silliest things you can imagine. A giant Transformer reminiscent robot, numerous action sequences, a tough yet tender woman resistance fighter (Moon Bloodgood). As a fan of the Terminator series in the past, for many a year I have wondered and yearned for a tale of the future war wherein humans fight an unending flow of machines. I'm not exactly sure what the mess that single monikered McG gave us but it doesn't suffice.

I was going along for the ride for the most part, trying to keep repressed the parts of my mind that wanted to shout at the inconsistency of the plot or the fact that it didn't even try to match up with the existing films. And then came your standard expository scene where the bad guys explain there plan. And I said, "seriously? doesn't that require them to rely on a whole lot of coincidence?"

I implore you don't be like me and make the mistake of seeing this movie. As a general rule, if the words McG are attached, run away. run away. You'll thank me.

No comments: