Friday, January 06, 2006

Spielberg gets it right, finally

I've been disappointed with Steven Spielberg for several movies now. I liked neither The Terminal (2004) nor War Of The Worlds(2005). Both Minority Report (2002) and A.I.: Artificial Intelligence (2001) fell through in the final moments of the film. Bug luckily I can say he gets it all right with Munich.

The actors work, the direction works, the ending works. The reenactment of scenes from the Olympic hostage taking are intercut dramatically and work nicely with a companion piece like One Day In September. Eric Bana is amazing as always and there also nice performances by Ciaran Hinds and Geoffery Rush. But it is Bana who carries the film.

There is of course a message in the film. A blatant message, there is no subtlety in how Spielberg feels. But in the end whatever the message is and how you react to it doesn't take away from the film. From start to finish this film does its job and does it well. I could have done without the blatant symbolism of the final shot, but the movie so caught me up that I was able to dismiss it.

No comments: