Tuesday, January 31, 2006

A Woody Miss

Having recently seen the excellent Match Point (2005), I've restarted my attempt to see the Woody Allen corpus. Unfortunately the first film that came to me has me rethinking the whole idea. Everything You Wanted To Know About Sex (But Were Afraid To Ask) (1972) is an early miss. It takes some strange questions and offers some even stranger answers in short bits. It is woefully unfunny and actually took me two days to watch. I turned it off after 45 minutes because sleep was more inviting than finishing the film and finished it up the next day. I have yet to see where Annie Hall (1977) came from, because all though Bananas (1971) and Take The Money And Run (1969) are amusing, they are in no way on par with Annie Hall. Well he was still experimenting perhaps. Yeah, that comforts me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen them, but I think "Manhattan" and "Hannah and her Sisters" are among his most highly regarded.