Thursday, August 09, 2007

Hot Rod

If you ever wondered why does the movie idiot go to see movies he knows he will hate? You are not alone. I've wondered this for years. Take Hot Rod for example. This is the new comedy (if one is generous) by Adam Samberg. He, if you are unaware, was brought on to SNL apparently on the popularity of some internet comedy bits he did with friends. I've seen a few of these style bits on SNL of late. Highly surreal, bizarre humor such as guys having a conversation while eating heads of lettuce or a bizarre shootout. Seriously lacking in the funny department if you ask me. I always feel like they were aiming for the Steve Buscemi short a few years back where he played a food pawn shop owner.

I'm getting off topic here. I don't find Adam Samberg funny, yet did it stop me from plopping down six bucks to see him lead in a comedy? No? I think I'm a glutton for punishment. Although Isla Fisher was cute but not cute enough to suffer through this film. Ian McShane was and always is the highlight but I didn't go to see him either. I think I go to films this bad because I hope secretly that somehow my preconceived notions will be wrong and I will actually enjoy the film. Believe it or not this has happened on occasion. But whatever my reasons for going, I can only hope my suffering serves as a warning to others.

No comments: