Thursday, August 30, 2007

War

Of all the movies I thought that I would be seeing when I went to see War, the one I got was a bit of a surprise. If you've seen the trailer you probably immediately decided this was a film to skip. Unless you are like me who watches films sometimes merely to be in the theater. Admittedly I on occasion like a mindless martial arts film. This one could have standed to be a bit more mindless. When I go see a movie starring Jet Li and Jason Statham I expect to see something like all those old Jean Claude Van Damme movies not the worst adaptation of Yojimbo I have ever seen.

I actually started to pay attention about half an hour into the film and realized I was just watching yet another rehash of a Kurosowa film. You know Hollywood has gotten lazy when it resorts to not just remaking films already made but remaking films that were remakes of films that were remakes of films already made. Yojimbo was a good movie. Sergio Leone's reimagining into A Fistful of Dollars was a good film. In all honesty I like it better because the old west has more appeal as a subject matter perhaps because I grew up on John Wayne and Clint Eastwood.

Then there was Last Man Standing a travesty of a film starring Bruce Willis and Christopher Walken and really you have to try to make a film starring Bruce Willis and Christopher Walken a travesty. And now we have War. The worst adaptation to date.

No comments: