Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Return to Me

There are few movies in my collection that I can watch at almost any moment and be in the mood for it. I have a decent amount of classic films that at a given moment I might deem "too heavy" for my mood or other such dismissals. Of course there are those movies that were bought on promise of quality or on ill remembered quality of the cinema. And of course there is the disturbingly growing collection of "gag" movie that my friends have given me and since they are gifts I can't in good conscience throw away (you win this round Omega Code. Still one film that I can watch pretty regularly is Return to Me.

Directed by Bonnie Hunt, the story involved Bob Rueland (David Duchovny) as the owner of a construction business who is married to Elisabeth (Joely Richardson). A tragedy leaves Bob a widower, who lives to fulfill his wife's last wish while wallowing in his own pity. Until a night when he goes out with a friend and meets lively young waitress Grace (Minnie Driver) and again starts to fall in love. The catch being that Grace is now alive because she has Elisabeth's donated heart.

Now you can be of two basic opinions on that final fact. You might think its a dopey plot device that permits the classic third act split only to see our happy couple reunited in the final frames. To this I would say that's what happens in Romantic Comedies and at least this plot device is better than most. You might think its a nice hopelessly romantic notion of the nature of love and it being eternal. And regardless you either enjoy the well done Romantic Comedy or you don't.

And as one who enjoys said genre, this is one of my favorites. It not only establishes a really good relationship between Richardson and Duchovny in the first 20 minutes but then tears your heart right out after that. That it can establish a charming new relationship without tainting the old I find to be a great achievement. Throw in a cast of lovable supporting actors played by the likes of Robert Loggia and the late great Carrol O'Conner and you have a very fun, romantic at times tragic film.

2 comments:

Wretched Genius said...

Every member of my family owns a copy of this. My sister stole my parents' copy, so they bought another one. Then she bought her own and returned theirs, so they have 2 copies now.

Nick Prigge said...

Rory, you blew my mind with this one. It's been years since I've seen it and must rectify that problem immediately.

And let's not forget this film even makes David Alan Grier appear to be a credible actor. That's sayin' something.