Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Hallelujah!!

Charlie Kaufman, I'm pretty sure is getting more and more insane with each new work. And with each new work I am more and more impressed. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind was very well written (even if I didn't think the film as a whole was great), Adaptation was one of the best pieces of evidence of what a good writer can do and now Synechdoche, New York which also marks the directorial debut of Mr. Kaufman. I cannot even begin to explain the plot. And perhaps it is best to do as fellow movie snob CinemaRomantico suggested and just say see it.

The difference here? I do absolutely think it is the best movie of the year. Sure that is a personal opinion. And not likely one to be shared. To be sure its semi-incoherent but I settled in half way through and smiled and hoped I would have a cinematic experience this year like I did several times last year. And now I can finally said I did. I'm seeing it again. No question. It will happen. And in my struggles of life, its like a bright message sent from above that the best movie I've seen this year falls almost a year to the day after I saw the best movie of 2007, No Country For Old Men.

I don't want to suggest that this film is anything like the Coen brothers masterpiece. I want to assure you it isn't like anything you've ever seen at all. I just know that I walked out with such a deep level of satisfaction that not one of life's problems that constantly assault us mattered for a few precious hours. This was movie 91 for the year and a small part of me wishes it had been number 100 just to end my going on 4 year dream with a bang. This is why I see movies. I'm lucky if I see one or two movies a year that make me feel this good.

Oh and you know what else? I swear this happened, I could't make this up. What should show up in my email inbox at virtually the precise moment the film ended? An email from a local cinema that has answered my request and the request of people like me to start hosting classic films on an ongoing basis. Durham being a bit underwhelming on the revival bandwagon unless you count bad 80s horror films. And now the endless possibilities of what I could see on the big screen lie before me! Do you understand the potential in all this?

I might literally die of happiness if I got to see Seventh Seal on the big screen. (to say the previous sentence is macabre given the subject matter of the film is like saying Titanic is about a sinking boat, but as it is my second favorite movie of all time, it must be said) It's freaking Christmas! people! See Synechdoche, New York, like CinemaRomantico, this is not a request, its a command. You'll probably hate it or call it pretentious, or say dude it was good but not that good. And I'll stare at you like you're some sort of alien. In fact, sorry to cut this rambling short, but I'm going back tonight. It has to be done.

No comments: