Sunday, November 02, 2008

Running Tally - Part 10

Despite not really posting at all in the month of October, I did actually manage to see a few films. My lack of posting has probably thrilled more than few people who don't care for my opinions and my horrible grammar. Still partly because I had more pressing concerns and partly because I haven't seen anything that inspired me to write, I never wrote about the six movies I did manage to see (although I am always optimistic that I will return to make some banal comment on these films. Six is shy of the average I needed for the month to just pull off the 100 goal and this has me admittedly worried.

Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist - This movie was so bad and made me so angry that I immediately left the theater afterwards (yes I sat through the whole film) and went to another movie. A movie I admit I didn't pay to see.

Appaloosa - I really hoped this would redeem my movie going night. I was raised on Westerns and all I read said Harris desired to make an old school western. He failed. Miserably. At least 3:10 to Yuma which I also didn't like much was trying to be something interesting. This movie can't even do an homage right.

Moving Midway - All hail the year of the documentary. Okay so sure some of the documentaries I saw this year are not technically 2008 releases but who cares I have seen so many good documentaries this year. As a movie critic I'm not a big fan of Godfrey Cheshire (the director of the film) but as for storytelling he's amazing. The film incorporates the history of film, the history of his family and the history of a house and the South in such a unique and compelling way.

The Garden of Earthly Delights - The third film of Lech Majewski that was showcased and a very interesting love story. Again Majewski is clearly doing very interesting things with the camera and it doesn't look like his other two films which is more than can be said for many a director. Not great but compelling none the less.

W. - No compelling narrative and more like a series of snapshots of the life of our current president and nothing that isn't already known pretty well or completely made up. Maybe Bush isn't that interesting but if so why not use creative license to make him so.

A Girl Cut In Two - The whole film felt out of place and after the fact I read an article that said it was based on a real 19th century event and suddenly it was clear. Don't set a story in the modern age if you are beholden to 19th century themes and morals. When it wasn't confusing it was just unbelievable.

But what you all came here to see, meaningless statistics.

Films Remaining: 15
Days Remaining (As of November 1): 61
Average Number of Films per Day to achieve goal: 0.25
Average Number of Films per Week to Achieve Goal: 1.67

2 comments:

Wretched Genius said...

Not to jinx anything, but this looks it might finally be your year. That magic 100 number is within your grasp.

Nick Prigge said...

I'm choosing to ignore your words against "Rachel Getting Married" (we can have fistfight about that later) and instead begging for more commentary on the unpleasantness of "Nick & Norah". I'm eager to know what it made so bad.