Saturday, November 08, 2008

RocknRolla

Guy Ritchie has had a bizarre career in directing. His first film Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels still stands as his best entry in the world of film. It was funny, slick and had twists and turns that kept it all going. His follow up Snatch was also clever and fun but not quite as clever and fun as his first film. I never saw what by most accounts were disasters Swept Away and Revolver. So what caused his percipitous drop in quality of film making? Was is his now defunct marriage to Madonna? Time will only tell.

Out front I'll admit I liked RocknRolla. No, its not a great film and it falls as short or shorter of Snatch than Snatch did of Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. But still it had a certain amount of charm tied up in it. The plot within plots story line that Ritchie favors is getting a bit limp but enjoyable performances from the likes of Tom Wilkinson and Gerard Butler carry the film through and as a gigantic fan of The Wire, I couldn't help but be happy to see Idris Elba (Stringer Bell for those not in the know).

Ritchie might seriously consider moving away from the British gangster genre. Even at his best he falls short of some of the best the genre has ever offered. And you can see the legacy of such films in Ritchie's work. I felt more than once like I was watching a bit of a poor man's Long Good Friday and lets face it Long Good Friday in my opinion is about as good as it gets in British gangster films. Typically when one mentions all the actors seem to be having a good time and so you have a good time watching, I protest. But here I must admit I was smiling more than I thought I should be and burst into laughter a few times as well.

I can't say I'd see it again or buy it on dvd but I was glad I saw it. Now excuse me why I go re-watch Long Good Friday and you should go re-watch it as well. (Allow me to pray for your soul if you haven't seen it.)

No comments: