Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Goodbye, Solo

Have you ever noticed that although I probably come off as a crabby old man who hates everything he sees, that I actually have more positive reviews than negative ones? Something to think about...or not. Its a bit of a falsified statistic since it includes reviews of movies that I watched at home or own which in general lends towards movies I actually want to see. I can't say for sure why when I go to the cinema I see so many movies I don't want to see. In the end morbid curiosity gets the better of me and I ascribe to a theory that any movie even one that boils my blood in anger is still worth seeing.

But I also suspect that because I endure so many terrible movies that when I hit on one that really makes me smile, I enjoy it that much more because of all the crap that came before it. Ramin Bahrani's film Man Push Cart was more or less an attempt by a modern filmmaker to make a Neo-realist picture. My review was largely positive but I balked at a couple of the contrived subplots.

Bahrani's new film Goodbye, Solo shows me an evolving filmmaker who is cutting out some of his bad habits (some are still there) and yet maintains his deep compassion for characters who are liminal to the larger society. Man Push Cart's Ahmad was a weary, hard working Pakistani, who provided breakfast each day for big movers and shakers of the New York business world trying hard to reach his own American Dream.

Solo(Souleymane Sy Savane), Bahrani's new protagonist is a likable, chatty taxi cab driver originally from Senegal who now resides in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. Solo like Ahmad has dreams of a better life this time as a Flight Attendant but it isn't so much the story of greater ambition that moves the story but the simple day to day of a well developed character performing a largely thankless task as so many in the United States today. When an elderly man, William (Red West) makes a request to be driven in several weeks to a semi obscure mountain destination and agrees to pay handsomely for it, Solo is intrigued.

Solo becomes increasingly intrigued by William and befriends him and tries to discover the mystery of the bitter old man. It is in these scenes (the heart and soul of the film) which won me over early on and kept me happy for the entire film. William isn't entirely heartless and opens up partially but nothing turns him from his mysterious goal. West has one of those fantastic faces that reveals and yet conceals a thousand interesting stories. He manages those looks and intonations of certain phrases that suggest a life more profound and sad than you can imagine, much the way Hal Holbrook managed to convey so much in one line of dialogue in Into the Wild.

The story goes along its course and never fully reveals the mysteries of William's life, merely hinting at some of the points and only alluding to why William wants to go to the mountain vista (albeit alludes strongly). And then the film ends. Solo might have a bit of renewed desire to accomplish his dreams but we certainly don't see success and the profound experience of someone who may have changed your life but then disappeared from it its fairly moving. There is a humanity to Solo and a humane treatment of his character by Bahrani that alone makes the film worth watching. Savane pulls off a fully formed likable character whom you believe would befriend a perfect stranger quickly and would genuinely care about what happens to him.

This is the first movie released in 2009 that I truly enjoyed through and through and has me hopeful for the upcoming fall releases and hopes that more gems of this sort are in the wings.

1 comment:

Nick Prigge said...

My thanks, Rory. I missed this one when it came through Chicago and then I forgot about it. To Netflix I shall go!