Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Year One

Obviously there is something wrong with me. Because the only comedic (and I use the term broadly) actor I hate more than Will Farrell is Jack Black. He's basically anti-comedy most of the time. Basically just loud and offensive. But as foolishly amazed as I was that I went to Land of the Lost I was a bit more perplexed as to why I had gone to see Year One. I'd like to say I was tricked by esteemed critic Manhola Darghis of the New York Times. But that would just be lying to myself. Although she did indeed give the film a critic's pick recommendation, I still knew in my heart that any Jack Black movie was not for me.

The film taking place in a fantasy reality where biblical stories mix with cavemen and Romans is an absurd road trip for the film's leads Jack Black and Michael Cera. Black as his usual load, boisterous, obnoxious self. Cera as his usual quiet, snarky, wimpy self. At times Cera's charm is put to good use and works well but here it is an annoying and ineffectual foil to Black. Cameos by David Cross and Hank Azaria are not nearly as humorous as advertised. Its general theme of poking fun of religious dogma is tame and the topic has been eviscerated by better comedic genius than this group. Notably, Monty Python's Life of Brian, which in retrospect I wish I had just stayed home and watched, is a far better satire of religion and the ancient world.

No comments: