Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Aliens

A personal favorite movie of mine for years has been James Cameron's Aliens (1986). When I learned that the local indie theater was going to be showing this film on the big screen, I was thrilled. Well the print of the movie I'm pretty sure was from twenty years ago, it was scratched and blurry and actually pretty poor image quality but you know what? I didn't care one damn bit.

As much as Ridley Scott's Alien (1979) was a scary thriller, Cameron's film is an excellent action film. But that isn't to say there isn't suspense in this movie because believe me there is. What exactly happened on the colony? How are the aliens moving around? Who is going to live? Will Ripley save Newt? I know the answer to every one of these questions and I still was glued to the screen.

I forgot how funny this film is too. There are genuinely funny moments with fun dialogue and plenty of action. And I couldn't help but cheer aloud and neither could the rest of the audience when Ripley yells out at the end "Get Away from her, you b*tch!" This is an experience I wish I could have had years ago in its original release but to be fair to me, I was five. Watching this old print with a crowd of hard core fans was almost as good. So go rewatch or watch for the first time an excellent suspense action film from one of the great directors of our time.

No comments: