Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Day Watch

"It could have done with a bit more action and less mind numbing dialog."
-Me, March 2006 about Night Watch

I've discovered that becoming curious about what is hiding in the moving dumpster that is my car is not always a good thing. When I investigated the contents of my car the other day, I discovered Day Watch and I honestly don't remember when I obtained said movie. But I confess that two years ago, after I saw the first film, that I was mildly curious to see the sequel to see where the story would go. I can now tell you, reader, that I have no idea where the story went. Upon reading my review from two years ago I was struck by my own quote that the film could use more action and less exposition.

The fact that Day Watch seems to have done just that hurts my brain. And I now find myself wishing there had been a little bit more exposition just to help explain to my admittedly poor brain what the hell was going on. The film picks up at some time after the last film. Anton is still a member of the day watch and his son is apparently some very important powerful evil. There is some tension brewing between the two sides and something called the chalk of destiny and I confess I hadn't the slightest idea of what was going on.

All this narrative anarchy was intensified by stylistic effects shots such as a car driving along a building or a guy causing cars to explode on the street. Although many of these looked quite good they flew out of left field most of the time and so how they actually related to what was going on and what was being said was completely lost on me. If someone else watches this and can explain it to me I would be very appreciative. As it stands Day Watch is a very pretty, very confusing tale of good and evil. I guess.

1 comment:

rorylarry_critic said...

Well, I suppose the light at the end of this dreary tunnel of useless, but remarkably narcissistic film criticism is that even a worthless bum like you isn't so useless that he doesn't even own a car.