Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Once

Know me even a little and you quickly find I'm averse to three things in movies (although there are always exceptions). Movie musicals and animation typically bore me and most voice over irritates me. But Once is pitched as a different kind of musical. Almost all its music is in a 100% believable and realistic context. And the songs are enjoyable because they are songs not esoteric expressions in song.

Once is the story of a street performer (Glen Hansard) and a woman (Marketa Irglova) he meets on day on the street. She's from the Czech Republic and the two form a bond. This is forged over love of music and matters of the heart. The two hang out and play and write together and eventually record together. All this is backdropped by their complicated lives. she is a young mother with an estranged husband back in the Czech Republic. He is fresh off a difficult breakup.

For the most part this combination of story and music has a decent amount of charm. Its quite fun to explore a non-sexual relationship between two people (although the overtones of attraction are there through most of the film). And the music is very good. Its delivery as part of the story is perhaps the most effective element. Only one scene seemed to scream of more traditional musical which I noted but let go.

The problem ultimately for me is that there isn't much for story or drama. The narrative meanders along, flirts with some possibilities before wrapping things up with a bit too much neatness. Motivation again is called into question. These nagging elements keep me from giving a full fledge approval of this film. But the music entertains and a few scenes such as a dinner party where guests sing were so familiar to me that I couldn't help but smile.

No comments: