Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Worst of 2007

To be fair since I see a whole lot of really wretched film in a year, I'm limiting this list to the five films that I actually had hopes would be good, so you won't see anything like Hostel II or Saw IV on this list. I feel confident I can make this list because although I haven't seen every movie of 2007 that I intended, I don't plan to see any that will be as bad as these.

Knocked Up - Everyone seems to love this movie except me. It had very few laughs and most of its humor was derived from the fact that every single character is unlikable and an asshole. It misses the subtle sweetness of 40 Year Old Virgin.

Spiderman 3 - Although I didn't find Spiderman 2 as great as many critics, it was still a decent superhero film. The third attempt by the same director was just plain bad. Boring villains and an inane evil Peter Parker subplot that gave us what may be the worst scene of the year. Tobey Maguire doing a dance and piano routine.

Halloween - I think Rob Zombie has an interesting approach to film making and despite what others think, I kind of enjoyed The Devil's Rejects. So the idea that he would tackle hit or miss director John Carpenter's big horror hit was intriguing. Could he provide some substance to the classic slasher film? The answer is no. Complete waste of time.

28 Weeks Later - 28 Days Later was one of the great horror films. It practically single handedly rejuvenated the zombie film genre (some are saddened by that, I am happy). A sequel you say? With special forces snipers? and another break out of zombies? where do I sign up? It gave me almost nothing good and a persistent apparently prescient zombie who could find his kids anywhere!! Let's hope there is no third film.

The Host - The critical praise for this movie is incomprehensible to me. This was such a pretentious film. The monster wasn't that scary or impressive. The 'message' of this movie was heavy handed and the ending was down right atrocious.

No comments: