Tuesday, January 22, 2008

OSCARS!!

I've never failed to be disappointed every year while watching the Academy Awards. They are long, filled with mindless banter and often give awards to the wrong people in my opinion. But at the exact same time despite claims to the contrary I can't resist my excitement the day the nominees are announced or the day of the actual awards. And people, today is Oscar Nomination Day! (note: not actual holiday)

So what are the nominations you say? Can barely contain yourself from knowing who the venerable Academy selected for achievement in sound editing? Well you won't get that here because well frankly I couldn't tell good sound editing from great sound editing. But if you want to know who was nominated and don't want to bother going to another site, I'm happy to oblige and happy to comment on what I think as well. And of course the obligatory picking of the pony (so to speak) which I encourage you loyal reader to do as well. And we will see how well we do.

Supporting Actress:

Cate Blanchett - I’m Not There
Ruby Dee - American Gangster
Saoirse Ronan - Atonement
Amy Ryan - Gone Baby Gone
Tilda Swinton - Michael Clayton

I didn't see Ms. Swinton's performance and frankly it doesn't matter because Amy Ryan blows the other nominees out of the water. Can't we agree the academy should just give her the Oscar now? But I'd like to give note to Saoirse Ronan as runner-up in my opinion. I'm rooting for Ms. Ryan

Supporting Actor:

Casey Affleck - The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Javier Bardem - No Country for Old Men
Philip Seymour Hoffman - Charlie Wilson’s War
Hal Holbrook - Into the Wild
Tom Wilkinson - Michael Clayton

I missed both Affleck's and Wilkinson's performances so I'm at a disadvantage on this one. Bardem and Hoffman were both phenomenal. But you know what, Holbrook had an emotional role that I responded to and helped catapult Into The Wild into one of my three favorite films of the year. I want him to win. I hope he wins. Go Hal Holbrook!

Directing:

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly - Julian Schnabel
Juno - Jason Reitman
Michael Clayton - Tony Gilroy
No Country for Old Men Joel Coen and Ethan Coen
There Will Be Blood - Paul Thomas Anderson

Didn't see Michael Clayton in the interest of disclosure. Wasn't that impressed with the direction in Juno. PT Anderson's film sort of fell apart for me. And now I'm torn. No Country for Old Men is pretty close to flawless but Schnabel does some amazing things with style (I appreciated that on my second viewing of his film). Still flawless people. The Coens should win.

Actor:

George Clooney - Michael Clayton
Daniel Day-Lewis - There Will Be Blood
Johnny Depp - Sweeney Todd The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
Tommy Lee Jones - In the Valley of Elah
Viggo Mortensen - Eastern Promises

This category could have had "Daniel Day-Lewis" - reading ingredients of a cereal box and I'd still think he deserved to win. But Mr. Jones was also memorable. Still Day-Lewis just overpowers the competition.

Actress:

Cate Blanchett - Elizabeth: The Golden Age
Julie Christie - Away from Her
Marion Cotillard - La Vie en Rose
Laura Linney - The Savages
Ellen Page - Juno

Blanchett for Elizabeth? That makes no sense. Ellen Page? Don't get me wrong she was good but best performance good? And I missed La Vie en Rose and I have plans to see Away From Her later this week so maybe I should hold off on this one. Nah, that's not my style. Laura Linney was wonderful in The Savages. Laura Linney for the win.

We've arrived people, the big one, best picture:

Atonement
Juno
Michael Clayton
No Country for Old Men
There Will Be Blood

No Country for Old Men. I need say no more.

1 comment:

Wretched Genius said...

I loved Amy Ryan's role, but I think she's going to get cheated out of the award. It will go to Blanchett, since she obviously won't be getting the Best Actress award. When an actor gets two nominations, the Academy always lets them have one of them.